Monday, December 7, 2015

Query Letter 3 - HOPEFULLY my final version!!!!



I'm hoping this one will be the ONE. Thanks to some fellow writers for their tips, I was able to piece together what I feel is a perfect query letter for my manuscript. Granted, it really is NOT perfect, but at least I personally am not questioning myself, and I feel confident sending it out to agents. Now, it really is only a question of IF the manuscript itself is not catching the attention of agents. But I feel like I've taken one of the factors of rejection out of the equation now. 

PRESENTING:


Dear AGENTXXXXXX,

    First of all, I wanted to thank you in advance for your hard work and the time you put in for aspiring authors. I have made good use of your blog in my evolution as an aspiring author, and I feel that of all the agents, you are definitely looking out for us as writers. Today, I wanted to submit my debut novel, I am Unbroken, which is part one of a series, The Otherworld Series. I feel as though it would be a great fit for your representation, as it is similar in style to XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    I am Unbroken is a contemporary YA fiction, most relevant to the urban fantasy genre. It currently totals 100,000 words. Those readers enjoying such titles as Alice in Zombieland or The Vampire Diaries will identify with its writing. One of my favorite aspects of the book is the 1st person point of view of the main character, Gavin Ashmore. I feel that YA readers will readily be engaged with him from the beginning, as he experiences many of the struggles that every teen has to deal with, including stepparents, popularity contests, and bullies.  Not only that, but he has to put up with puberty while trying his best to save the entire world, both the living and the dead one.

    Sixteen-year-old Gavin Ashmore had always suspected his family was different, maybe even insane to the point of hearing voices and seeing “ghosts.”  His own father had even walked out on the family in a fit of paranoia when Gavin was younger, insisting that someone was after him, putting their whole family in danger.

    But lifelong loner Gavin doesn’t believe, won’t believe any of it. He has other mundane teenage drama to deal with – his politician step-father, the class bullies, and rolling his eyes as the cheerleaders “LOL” with each other.  That’s why he takes it upon himself to wish for a different life on his sixteenth birthday.

    But Gavin wasn’t prepared for how different his life was about to become.

    An unknown force of evil stirs against Gavin after his sixteenth birthday. Little does he know, but he is one of many in a long line of Ashmore's that has received the title of Unbroken, as well as the role of being the curse bearer. This curse acts as collateral to keep one of the most dangerous beings, known as Cain, stuck between the living and dead worlds, thus imprisoning him in a nearly impenetrable cell.  As with anything, there is still one provision to break Cain free, and that lies within the very heart of Gavin Ashmore.

    Along the way, Gavin encounters allies, friends and even hot guardian angels.  He falls in love with his own guardian angel, Alina, and because of Gavin's innate abilities, he is able to become Alina's guardian angel in turn, restoring her humanity once again, and only through her does Gavin begin himself to live life as his father always taught him.    

    But as with any great story, sacrifices will have to be made.

    The ultimate question is will the curse be broken, or will it ultimately break Gavin?

    In trade, I am a dentist, but my heart has always been in writing. I have published several articles in various dental journals, and have even won scholarships by writing essays. However, I am seeking to do more with my passion of writing, and so I turn to you for your help to make this dream come true.

   Thank you so much for your time, which I know is precious. While I have included a sample of the first chapter of my manuscript, a partial or full manuscript is ready at your request. 


   Thank you and Merry Christmas!




I would love any comments you have regarding room for improvement, or if you like it. THANKS!!!!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment