Monday, December 7, 2015

School's in session. 5 Tips I've learned so far about my mediocre writing career.


I know I have no merits, and really no standing reason why I should give any tips at all about being an aspiring writer, but since I AM an aspiring writer and living through it, maybe I am more qualified to discuss it than someone who has published ten bestsellers already and is well on their way into their career...to the point that their no longer aspiring, nor even perspiring any more. 

So for what it's worth, here are five tips for aspiring writers.

1) Don't quit your day job...but don't let your day job fire your hopeful writing job:  Contrary to the name of the blog (Christian Quits His Day Job)...it's a bit of irony, because I sit here now at my day job writing this blog post. What I mean to say his, don't forget to write, and don't ever let your job...no matter what you do, be it lawyer, policeman or astronaut...don't ever let your day job get in the way of writing at least 5 days out of the week. Writing takes practice as well as up keep, so don't forget to exercise it like I should be exercising the rest of my body (BUT that's another story)

2) Start with short stories if you can't get to a full novel: For me, I will have an idea pop into my head and think, "THAT'D BE AN AWESOME STORY!" but obviously I don't have time to write ten different stories at a time given I have a full time job, a full time family and a full Hulu and Netflix queue. BUT I do have time to pen a 10k word or even 1K word short story. This helps to develop my characters, and eventually may blossom into a full-length manuscript. At least I know I have some ammo in my belt should the occasion ever arise.

3) Share your work with the public, friends, and your neighbor's cat if you must: The gift of writing is not to be held onto like a selfish talent, but it should be shared with everyone you can. You shouldn't ever be ashamed of your writing, no matter how silly you think the idea might be. What would JK Rowling have done if she thought it would be silly sharing a story about witches and wizards and butterbeer with the world? Share it, even if it gets criticized like a fascist sexist president, share it until no one else will listen, and then find a new audience to share it with!

4) Continue to learn, and be humble enough to know you're not perfect: A writing class, or local writer's group is the perfect venue to receive other perspectives on the world of writing. There are lots of genres, plots, and character types, and taking the time to learn and accept change can only open your world and help you see what things you might be doing wrong. The following quote sums it up perfectly I think:


5) Take breaks from writing but never take a hiatus: The difference, I am referring to, is that it's okay to take a few days away, or even weeks, but don't get to the point that you say, "Someday I'll write that story, or someday I will get back into writing." Someday is basically the equivalent of "No day" and you will never fulfill your dream of no longer being an aspiring writer. Breaks are great, it allows meditation, self-reflection, and regrouping, but ALWAYS do so with a specific return date to writing. Kind of like a mini vacation that you know will end, and you will have to get back on that ship and get going. 


I hope these five tips will help some writer in the world struggling as I am to bring my works to the world. NEVER GIVE UP and ALWAYS KEEP WRITING!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment